22 July 2010

T-34s, more books and some figures!

Well, my Syr Hobbes order came last week, lots of US and Brit SF, and some Russian half figures for my vehicles..this will be fun! And I split a second hand consignment of Battlefield 20mm with Jage. He got the Russians, the Handachar and Jungwitz Cossacks and half the FJ. I took the other half of the FJ, the misc packs (lots of half figures for tanks there!) and the winter SS for Bulge stuff.

I sprayed up using the FoW Soviet Tank Color (it's done by Army Painter and doubles as a primer coat, what can I say, it's expensive, but not bad as a time saver) some T-34/85s that had been sitting forlornly from when I purchased them as a set from somebody on TMP.

I did miss some spots, you always do when you spray in my experience. So, I asked about on TMP, the Guild and the AAG forums, and Piers was nice enough to tell me to try the Vallejo Russian Green, but also that the shades on it tend to differ a bit. No worries, the Soviet Army's paint stocks always had a bit of "play" in them, and once they're properly detailed and weathered, and then chipped? You won't notice a damned thing!

I also have some pics of another modern micro-armor game we ran. Americans v. Soviets. Soviets lost again, but they did pretty much bag most of a US Armored Cav troop for the loss of a battalion of T-80s. Yeah, the Soviets would consider that a fair exchange. The Czech Tank battalion with T-72s, well, they simply died like dogs, with the survivors (most of the regiment, surprisingly!) ran for the hills.

I like FFT, it's damned fast and well thought out, I really wish Ty would get 3 out before I am old enough to collect SSI! I am looking forward to the game I've got planned on Saturday, now I've just got to plan the actual scenario...It will be a bit bigger than stuff we've run before, but I think all will appreciate it!

As for book reading, finally finished Generation Kill, I liked it but it was a bit long on "We killed a lot of civilians", and short on "what the battalion was actually doing". Not saying it isn't a good bit of work, but I liked Not a Good Day to Die better. Also finished Tonight We Die as Men. Fine bit of work there. Ian Gardner did himself proud with the book, and the bit of research he did on the Douve river bridges on D-Day has corrected a long-standing error. I like that Mark Bando was involved in the book. He's also done a lot with the 101st and really showing the division was more than one company (again, no offense intended to the members of E/2/506th).

I also gave Jage my extra 2300 stuff and my older HS books. Hope he finds them useful. I sure did!

Well, that's all for now, pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment