26 July 2010

Two Game AARs and a lot of pictures!

Gane 1: A FFT AAR, Germany, 1987.

The game was a Czech and a Soviet Tank Regiment against a US Army Armored Cav Squadron. The game didn't last too long, even with Hinds in support (they were remarkably ineffective, one being shot down and the other doing little more than killing a Brad with an AT-6 shot).

The Soviets and Czechs advanced on a broad front on either side of the road running the length of the table (we played on a 4 x 4 ft space, it was the only table Jage and I could get at E and E that day). The Soviets did well initially, losing a battalion in exchange for killing most of a US Cav troop. A early T-80 does have a shot of killing an M1 front on. Not a great chance, but better than nothing.

The Czechs on the other hand? They basically melted away. Their T-72s were little more than target practice for the US M1s. Most of the Czech platoons ran away from failed QCs rather than dying outright, by the time the regiment tested, there was barely a battalion's worth of T-72s left.

The Russians kept on, and tried to flank the US position in the center, but lateral movement by the Americans on my flanks pretty much put paid to the Soviet advance. The game was over in three turns.

Here are some pics. Yes, Virginia, the Soviets need artillery. They really shouldn't leave home without it.

Photobucket

A really bad pic of the hapless Czechs!

Photobucket

A pregame pic of the Soviets

Photobucket

The Hind after it ate a Stinger (Hey, it's semi-historical!)

Game two was an FoF game set loosely in East Prussia in late 1944/early 1945. I let Jage use his newly painted Handschar (I said they were a late personnel draft that never got to the division). They were part of a weak platoon rearguard along with two understrength squads of regulars, and a small anti-tank team from the Volkssturm.

They faced a Soviet force of 7 T-34s (Mix of 76 and 85, I know it's not historical but I couldn't get all my 85's done in time!) Also, they were backed up by a platoon of Tank Riders, and some scouts in a Scout Car and on horse (I never used the latter, they'd have been cut down, as you'll see later).

I was playing the Soviets against my Stepfather Lou, and Jage again. Needless to say, I made a crucial mistake early, I played the Soviets cautious. To be fair, I was running the game more than I was playing tactical, but they beat me good. But let's describe the game. I moved up a T-34/76 on my left, and lost it to Panzerfaust fire from the Volkssturm, who promptly got the heck out of there. I didn't blame them with what was to come.

I brought in another T-34 and more Panzerfaust fire killed the crew. Two T-34s down and I tried a new tack, bringing in the scout car on the right, using some elevation to gain some cover. I forced the Handachar back with some machine gun fire and brought in the rest of the T-34s.

Here's where I made my mistake. Instead of rolling the T-34s right up on the woods and debussing next turn, accepting the risk, I debarked as soon as I got the vehicles into the woodline, and advanced the infantry over a bit of open space. I decreed all the Soviets had SMGs...and they paid for it...with the Germans cutting them down at ranges the Soviets couldn't do a thing about. Morale rolls began to tell, and soon the attack bogged down.

By this point, I'd gotten a few "1s" on my reaction rolls, and one FoW card I pulled was a very lucky "Fire, Fire" card. I used to promptly set the stone ruins on fire in the center. I began to get hope again and tried to get the infantry moving again, but the Handchar returned, and they cut down the remaining Soviets. To make matters worse? The Germans panzerfausted ANOTHER T-34. They only needed to kill one more and I was toast. Needless to say, this is when their reinforcements, a Mk IV and a JgPz IV showed up...and roasted another T-34. Game over. It was hard fought, and though the Germans took light casualties, they didn't get off scott free.

We had a lot of fun, and my stepfather had some good ideas for my storage sitrep and seemed to be interested in the hobby.

Anyhow, that's it for now. Here are some pics, Jage took some more, and those can be seen here

Photobucket

The Soviet high water mark

Photobucket

A shot of the Soviets before the game

Photobucket

The German VS anti-tank team.

No comments:

Post a Comment